The Party at Coye's

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

So, What's in the local paper?



It's Tuesday night and all is quiet in a small Texas town.

Butch here. It's been awhile since I've posted and I've promised to update folks on the last week.

It's been a busy one. A number of family and friends have gathered and gone. Rae and I are northbound tomorrow. Her for home, me for the airport, and then home. None of us wanted to leave, but life calls, and we have to answer it for at least a little while.

Let me begin by telling you I'm hoping to cover some local news, sports, entertainment, the social calendar and some transportation news, not necessarily in that order:

First some transportation news: I still don't have my luggage. American still hasn't shown any indication that they care. I've opted for voting with my feet, and my clothing.

Want to know more, go here

In sporting news Tabi's old softball team from a year ago got together for a couple of games last weekend.... actually a LOT of games, non-stop, from 2 a.m. Saturday night to about 6 p.m. Sunday. Oh, and 4 games the Friday before. The call it Midnight Madness. I think it's just nuts. They did ok for a team that hasn't played together in a year, finishing THIRD! Way ta go girls.

As a matter of mercy, I won't be featuring any pictures of Tabi's mom, Susie, near the end of the marathon. Just picture any of the zombies from any one of the Dawn of the Dead movie series. Now picture the same zombie with a half dozen kids. (Scary, huh?)







In social news. I'm older.

Big fat hairy deal. Actually, it sort of was. I got a surprise birthday party. I haven't had a birthday party in years. And there were gifts! These people are so awesome. The cake was terrific, this triple chocolate mousse thing.... The gifts were wonderful. But the best gift I got was a couple nights before. Several of us gathered on the front porch to talk and play and sing a bit. Rae played a few numbers and I got to do something I've only rarely had the chance to do, sing for my Mother. The best birthday gift that I can ever remember.

Got another cool gift: My daughter Heather and her man, Patrick, dropped in for a day or so, on their way from Colorado to North Carolina. (Is to on the way! Ok, maybe not....) Patrick seemed to come through his first exposure to the clan without any issues that a good therapist can't handle.

Kelly and two of his munchkins were here as well. Food, fun and foolishness was shared by all.

Now for the news you're looking for...

The good news is, over the past couple months the family has been given more time with Mom. Not always all at once, but we each have gotten to spend a bit of time. (Not nearly as much as any of us wants, but who is that news to?)

The bad news is the medical folks aren't talking to us about months anymore. Now they refer to days and weeks. They have stepped up the "pain management pharmaceuticals" yet again. Mom has responded well to them. She was up and around for much of the day, and at the table for dinner. And the look she gave me when I told her it was time for her pills could still shatter the hardiest of men's wills. (Fortunately for me, I am not the hardiest of men, just one of the denser ones.)

We can all see that time is limited. We know it. Mom knows it. How limited? No one knows. And that's not news, either.

No tears, yet. None called for.

The game plan hasn't changed since the day we started this journey. We will make whatever time we have as happy as we can. If the last thing Mom hears is a laugh, and the last thing she feels is our love, we did as she asked. We did it right.

As always, my thanks to one and all for your prayers, kind thoughts, and kind words.

I love you, Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home