The Party at Coye's

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Home and Dry in Illinois

Hi, Mom.

I'm home and dry in Illinios. Still no sign of my luggage. Spent an hour in Houston. Bought Deb a T-shirt that reads

"Beer, Now cheaper than gas.
Drink, Don't Drive. Houston, TX"


It was good to see family again, even for such a reason.

Thought I'd dump out of my head a couple of memories of the last week:

Asking the nice lady at American why this ticket, nonstop, from St. Louis to Dallas was $238 and that ticket, nonstop, from St. Louis to Dallas, leaving one hour earlier, was $750. Her response was ".... " Bought the $238 and got on the earlier flight "Standby". (Of course, they got the last word, and my luggage.)

Which brings me to clothes shopping. Spent the night at the hospital with Mom. Slept in the dress clothes I had. Next morning early went to the "Big Mart" store and did some clothes shopping... shorts, some sandals, couple shirts. Went back to Kelly's. Went upstairs, took a shower and put on said shorts, sandals and a shirt. Felt so good to be out of the dirty dress clothes. Felt so refreshed; I stood at the top of the stairs and announced loudly "I AM NOT WEARING PANTS!!" That's when I discovered that I was alone in the house with my sister-in-law and her three year old son. Not sure how she felt about my little announcement. She never mentioned it. But they didn't come out of her room for, like, an hour.

One last thing about the new clothes. Later that day (next day?? they all ran together), at the hospital, Mom thought it was important to advise all of the hospital staff that "The airline lost my son's luggage. He had to go buy something to wear at Walmart." One nurse, upon hearing this, while she was checking Mom's blood pressure, looked me over quickly, from head to toe and back again. Without stopping what she was doing. Without missing a heartbeat. She took in the cheap sandals, the dull green cargo shorts and the shirt and then looked ever so briefly into my eyes with the most heartfelt pity I've ever seen. It was as if she had printed a card and handed it to me. "You had the excuse to improve your wardrobe... and you chose that."

Enough of the clothes. I want to tell you just how wonderful my sister-in-law is. Kelly, you are a luck son-of-a-bi... oh wait... that bi.... would be my mom....

Kelly, you are incredibly blessed. Rachel is awesome. She was so kind and patient and generous to all of us as we invaded her home. She did a hundred things in the background, to make things easier and smoother, so seamlessly that no one even noticed. And she loves you dearly, dear brother. And you deserve it. I admire you both. And love you both very much. Thank you, again. And take care of my buddy, Keegan.

There are other things that deserve telling, but this has gotten a bit long. I'll save them for later, save this one thing:

Sitting at the foot of her hospital bed, listening to my Mom hold a dozen phone conversations with friends, family, and even a couple of strangers (one guy dialed wrong, trying to order a pizza.... We took the order. Wonder how long he waited for it....)

I am humbled by how strong, how loving and generous my Mother was in that hospital. She had every right to be everything but. And still call after call she told people her news. She comforted. She guided. She listened to the same words of sympathy and loss over and over again. She calmed them and helped them to understand. She was, she is... amazing. And she's my Mother.

I love you, Mom. I always have, but never more than I do right now.

And I will try to live the example you have set for us until my last breath.

I'll see you in a couple weeks.

........Butch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home